Grilled Sirloin Steak w/Blackberry Cabernet Sauce
Photo by David Lanthan Reamer
Summary: Courtesy of Chef John Sarich, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Woodinville, WA
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 cups chicken or veal stock
- 3 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup blackberry jam
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons espresso powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 sirloin steaks, each weighing about 8 ounces
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add the garlic, shallots, carrot, and celery.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the Cabernet Sauvignon to deglaze the pan, stirring well.
- Add the stock, blackberries, jam, and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Strain the sauce and place the liquid back in the pan.
- Return to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the liquid is reduced by half and thickens.
- Salt and pepper to taste and whisk in the espresso powder.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Salt and pepper the sirloin steaks and grill them to the desired doneness. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- To plate, slice the steaks and spoon over the sauce.
- If desired, garnish the plate with a few whole blackberries.
Preparation time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8