Kai Saam Yang
From the May/June issue of Northwest Palate. Courtesy of Chef Andy Ricker of Pok Pok and the Whiskey Soda Lounge in Portland Oregon.
Called “Chicken Three Ways,” this dish is indeed perfect for pecking at while sipping beer or a dram of whiskey. “It’s something you just take a little bite of when you’re drinking booze,” Ricker says. When preparing the lemongrass, he strongly advises peeling off the fibrous outer part and using only the tender part of the stalk.
Summary: recipe from Andy Ricker, Whiskey Soda Lounge, Portland, Oregon
- 2 stalks lemongrass, woody outer layers removed
- 1 shallot, medium size, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Finely slice into rounds the peeled lemongrass stalk, using only the most tender white part, and place in a bowl.
- Add the shallots and peanuts.
- Toss to mix and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1