Baked Stellar Bay Kusshi Oysters with Garlic Breadcrumbs and Oregano
From our Consider the Source feature in the March/April 2011 issue featuring Ethan Stowell’s New Italian Kitchen by Ethan Stowell and Leslie Miller.
Summary: from Ethan Stowell’s New Italian Kitchen by Ethan Stowell and Leslie Miller
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 3 heaping Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 24 Kusshi oysters
- Rock salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the broiler on the lowest setting.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the garlic, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, kosher salt, and a few grinds of pepper.
- Shuck the oysters over a bowl to catch the liquor. Discard the top shells.
- Put an inch or so of rock salt in a baking dish large enough to hold the shells. Stabilize the bottom shells in the rock salt and return the shucked oysters to their shells.
- Strain the reserved oyster liquor through a fine-mesh strainer and add the lemon juice. Divide the liquid among the oysters.
- Sprinkle the oysters very liberally with the breadcrumb mixture and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Broil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Reprinted with permission from Ethan Stowell’s New Italian Kitchen by Ethan Stowell and Leslie Miller, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House.
Photo credit: Geoffrey Smith © 2010