Here’s the recipe! Enjoy as an intermezzo, light dessert, or freeze into an ice pop or daiquiri and slurp poolside. You might even try a scoop in a Champagne flute and top with your favorite local bubbly for a refreshing summertime aperitivo.
Courtesy of Vitaly Paley, Paley’s Place, Portland, OR
Frozen radishes—who would’ve thought? Vitaly Paley, that’s who. He conjured this icy confection during his recent win on an episode of Iron Chef America in Battle Radish.
Makes 1 quart.
Recipe: Radish Sorbet
Summary: Icy confection or intermezzo. Recipe from Battle Radish -Iron Chef America
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch red or icicle radishes, scrubbed (save greens for another use)
- 1/2 pint strawberries
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- ½ cup Pimm’s Cup
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Make a thick simple syrup by combining sugar and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Once the sugar is melted, remove from heat and let cool.
- When simple syrup has cooled, pour into a blender and add all remaining ingredients and liquefy.
- Taste to make sure the radish flavor is there; add more if needed.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Number of servings (yield): 8