Red Curry Soup with Chicken and Rice Noodles
From The Gluten-free Asian Kitchen by Portland author, Laura B. Russell, we share a gluten-free recipe for a delicious red curry soup with chicken and rice noodles.
This soup is easy to make and can easily be adapted for gluten-free pescetarians by substituting seafood, or replace the chicken with tofu, red for green curry, and use vegetable stock for vegetarians. As for the rice noodles, here’s a case of fresher not necessarily being better. “Watch out for fresh rice noodles, which may contain wheat starch,” Russell advises.
Summary: Gluten-free and easy-to-make from Laura B Russell’s The Gluten-free Asian Kitchen
- 8 ounces flat rice noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into thin slices and then into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
- Shredded cabbage, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Sriracha or other chili-garlic sauce gluten-free, for serving
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water until just done, about 5 minutes, or according to package directions. (Remove a noodle with tongs and taste it for doneness.)
- Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Set the noodles aside until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken with the fish sauce. Let stand while you prepare the soup.
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, curry paste, turmeric, and coriander and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the salt, coconut milk, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, to infuse the flavors, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fish sauce to the simmering broth. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the noodles among 4 bowls and ladle the soup over the noodles.
- Top with the cilantro, cabbage, a squeeze of lime juice, and hot sauce to taste.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Published in the March/April 2012 issue of Northwest Palate magazine
Find Gluten-free dining and markets in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver