Autumn Fruit Salad in Late Harvest Riesling Dressing
Select a Late Harvest Riesling with good acidity to balance the sweetness of this autumn salad.
Recipe: Asian Pear-Autumn Fruit Salad in Late Harvest Riesling Dressing
Summary: Asian pears must be tree-ripened in order to develop their full sweetness and peak flavor.
- 1/2 cup late harvest Riesling
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 cups peeled, cored, and medium-diced Asian pears
- 1 cup seedless grapes (white or pink varieties like Himrod or Reliance)
- 8 fresh or dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 orange, sectioned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- To prepare dressing, combine Riesling, honey, and vanilla bean in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- To prepare salad, combine Asian pears, grapes, figs, oranges, and pecans in a large serving bowl.
- Toss together until combined.
- Remove vanilla bean from dressing, then pour dressing over fruit; gently toss to coat fruit.
- Serve chilled.
Number of servings (yield): 6
From our September October 09 issue
By Kris Wetherbee
Photo: Rich Weterbee